Hi Dawie...sorry for so long responding, but there are has been too much going
on in my life to do so sooner with words I'm hoping will explain at least in
part my position.  Unfortunately, I believe I have not been able to even
scratch the surface of expounding upon the issues with which you have taken
issue and also professed.  But I'm trying, and also, if in trying I have
completely misread your meaning, please forgive me.
     So, except for the gist of your last paragraph, I couldn't disagree with
you more.  I believe you are deluded.  "Freedom" and "independence" are
illusions...delusions...ideas foisted upon us by a minority who want us to
believe the supposed reality of these words in order to divide us and
ultimately conquer us, just as they have and do--and will.  "Freedom and
independence are" NOT "merely what all sane, healthy people strive for."
Freedom and independence are NOT "what causes children to be impatient to grow
up, and so they should be."  "The problem is" NOT that "we've forgotten what
freedom and independence mean."  The utterly fundamental problem is that we've
forgotten, in fact have never been taught (most of us), what "we" mean.
     Let me put my hands around your neck, Dawie, and squeeze and the tighter I
squeeze I want you to tell me all about your "freedom" and your "independence."
 Keep talking...keep talking...Dawie?  What are you trying to say?  Stop?  Why?
 Because you can no longer breathe the air we share.  The same goes with water
and dirt.  The fundamental fact of our being is that we share.  And so each of
us comes and goes, along with whatever notions each of us might have of
freedom, independence, separation etc etc--every mental construct ad
nauseum--but what we share remains.  And when Earth finally disappears, another
will appear, because what we ultimately share is grander than even Earth.
     As I read what you have written, I am impressed that what makes you
uniquely you, Dawie, has been captured and taught to believe "you" are "free"
and "independent."  And why should you believe otherwise?  You feel this, so
you believe it.  But what are you really feeling?  You are feeling your nature
to focus and to see for yourself, to think for yourself, but it is not
ultimately for yourself that you are intended to see and think--it is for "us,"
the fundamental reality of "us" being Earth and everything we share.
     Anyway, crank up the old intellectual noodling all you want, Dawie,
reality will not be changed; only you will be changed, just as you already have
been changed as indicated by your words.  You will be (have been) changed from
what you are into someone else's idea for you of what they want you to be, just
as they have been doing for thousands of years.  "United we stand.  Divided we
fall."  These are not merely words.  The meaning of these words is the truth.
     Anyway, I know we can divide this all up into a million bits of ultimately
nothingness and it will not change a thing, except as it changes each of us.
"Freedom," "independence," "separateness" all are, as far as I can see from
observing closely the situation in which I have my being, words which should be
blindfolded and shot, beheaded, hung from the gallows, obliterated, annihilated
etc etc.  In their place I would substitute "individuality."  This word makes
sense to me, as it seems to me to more accurately describe my experience.  The
others, however, are charalatans, terrorists, blue meanies intending my utter
enslavement.
     Take care, Dawie.  Mike DuPree