So, when I pee in my compost pile, it's a good thing....

On 7/12/07, Paul S Cantrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

They've discovered our secret!

Urine Offers Rich Phosphorus Source
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/07/10/urine_pla.html?category=earth

July 10, 2007 — Recycling urine may be the answer to a looming global
shortage of phosphorus, according to an Australian researcher.

Associate Professor Cynthia Mitchell, of the Institute for Sustainable
Futures at the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS), said the
world's deposits of phosphorus are due to run out in about 50 years.

She believes recycling the 132 gallons (500 liters) of urine each
person produces a year is the solution.

"Urine is the most concentrated source of phosphorus," she said. "At
the moment we dilute that through our sewage system and send it out to
the ocean.

"In the industrialized world we must start moving to a
resource-recovery approach rather than the current waste-treatment
approach."

Phosphorus is a key component in agricultural fertilizers and a lack
of phosphorus would affect future soil quality and production.

But Mitchell blames a 'poo taboo' for the failure of governments to
move on the issue of recycling urine.

In a public lecture at UTS later this week, Mitchell will call for a
"revolution in sanitation" across Australia.

She said technology that allows urine to be separated in the home is
already being used in Sweden.

All new homes in the local council of Tanum are required to have
urine-separation toilets.

--
Thanks,
PC

He's the kind of a guy who lights up a room just by flicking a switch

messages):

Zeke Yewdall
Chief Electrical Engineer
Sunflower Solar, A NewPoint Energy Company
Cell: 720.352.2508
Office: 303.459.0177
FAX documents to: 720.269.1240
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.cosunflower.com

CoSEIA Certified
Certified BP Solar Installer
National Association of Home Builders

Quotable Quote

"In the dark of the moon, in flying snow,
in the dead of winter, war spreading,
families dying, the world in danger,
I walk the rocky hillside
sowing clover."