Hello Paul and all

>They've discovered our secret!

:-)

It's about time they discovered a few of their own secrets I think.

One is that it's quite hard to find phosphorus-deficient soils.
What's easy to find is lots and lots of soils where there's plenty of
phosphorus, but it's all locked up in a form not available to plants.

So the chemical-agriculture solution is to apply loads of
water-soluble phosphates (superphosphate or triple-superphosphate), a
tiny percentage of which ever gets to the plant, the rest goes into
the soil water or joins the existing stocks of unavailable phosphorus.

The phosphorus supply in the soil is either in mineral form (as
above) or in organic forms in the organic matter and humus in the
soil, where it's taken up by soil microorganisms in their tissues and
becomes available when they die (ie slow-release), while some species
of soil microorganisms produce available forms of phosphorus in
excess, more than they need, like honey bees produce excess honey.
Mycorrhizal soil fungi are a major source of organic phosphorus, fed
direct to the plant roots.

But if you keep knifing harsh chemical fertilisers into the soil the
organic matter supply gets burnt up and the soil goes acidic, with
not much living in it to supply phosphorus or anything else much, and
certainly no mycorrhizal soil fungi.

If you maintain the soil humus and the biodiversity of your crops you
get it both ways, via the soil life and via the plants themselves,
with deep-rooters etching fresh minerals out of the subsoil,
including "unavailable" phosphorus, which they do by exuding weak
carbonic acid from the roots.

There's possibly a case for applying phosphorus once, at the
beginning, when restoring worn-out soil. Organic farmers previously
used basic sludge for that; I don't know if it's still available or
still suitable. A good dressing of manure, or green manure, or indeed
urine, but preferably compost, which contains them all plus all the
soil bugs needed, is usually sufficient.

Other than that, phosphorus deficiencies are for amateurs. IMHO. Like
nitrogen deficiencies.

Best

Keith