On 8/4/07, Thomas Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> John,
>      I have well water. It is good.  I've been to people's houses and have
> been given bottled water to drink.
>
> > most water treatment plants do not filter quite like these bottled water
> > companies.  What cities can do reverse osmosis on a city scale?
>
>      I haven't researched water purifiers. Isn't it possible to purify water
> by reverse osmosis, or whatever, on a small scale so that people can have
> good drinking water in their own houses/apartments/places of work?

Yup that is possible. I have seen and used a number of small water
purifiers at some eco minded peoples homes here in the valley. They
all have solar panels and a few have wind (thats where I met them)

www.freedrinkingwater.com

> Couldn't
> they then put it in durable (nalgene?) bottles for when they go out? This,
> rather than buying bottled tap water that has been transported many miles,
> in "disposable" containers that contribute so much to landfills, let alone
> the energy/resources wasted to produce. Like I said, I haven't looked into
> it. At $1 - $3 for half a liter of bottled water wouldn't the price of
> filtration quickly pay for itself ?

Depends on how much you drink. The small systems are in the $500
range. When I buy water its $1/bottle and I only do 50~75/year. I make
a lot of tea and it is all with tap.

>     Shouldn't housing plans, whether for individual families or apartments,
> consider water quality and, if necessary, include water filtration units in
> the design?

No, they should not, at least not only because the water might be
poor. That is a business decision and something the builder has no
need to do, unless they want to charge for it. The home buyer can have
it build in if/when they want it, it adds VERY little to the price of
the home. As for apartments that is a city responsibility, and the
city should be held accountable for good water.

> This may sound odd, but before I made the major investment of
> buying a house I tasted the water.

Not odd at all, I did the same when looking at houses that had wells.
City water (here) I already knew the taste/quality.

> Back then it was common practice to taste
> the water before buying a house. Quality water was a very high priority. The
> value of a house or apartment is, at least in part, a function of water
> quality at the tap.

Not today it is not. It is fairly meaningless short of "does the water work?"

>      There was (is still?) an image associated with bottled water  .....
> it's somehow special and so are those that drink it. In view of what we now
> know, this is B.S.  No?

Nope, plain water is for poor uncultured people. Now its all about
flavored water. I admit that half the water I buy is a brand called
Option. I pay $0.88 per bottle and only buy when its on sale. This is
mostly for when I am on a trip or going to be working on roofs.

>  What if we decided to ensure good water at our taps
> and better still, good water at the source? What if we took as much pride in
> the water coming from our tap as we do in the view we have from our living
> room or our back deck?

We already do demand good water, it just is not enforced.

>      I'm old enough to remember a day when my father would take us to a ball
> game and complain about having to pay for parking at the stadium lot.
> He'd say "Next thing, we'll be paying for water."

We have always paid for water, even in your fathers time. The next
time you go out to eat pay attention to the wait staff. They put out
free glasses of water. You know why that is? Law. I forget the details
but some time ago (100yrs?) people were being charged stupid amounts
for a glass of water with a meal (IIRC had to do with hot weather).
Law was passed so this is now free.

>       Is it possible to filter water so that it is not only healthy, but
> tastes good too?

Yes it is. The problem is making it cheap. Go take a good look at your
cities water plant from the head to the sewer ponds. Doing it en mass
for a government (or related) body is not cheap. If you think you can
do better then start up your own water company, nothing is stopping
you but you.