Hello Jeromie

This all seems very confused, but why so strident?

>Yes I did [read the whole thing]. I did NOT say the company from the
>article did not lie, in fact, i even pointed out that they and most
>(maybe all?) large bottled water companies are evil. I said the
>small, local bottling company was fairly decent.

But apart from this and your last line it's the large bottled water
companies that you defend, not the small, local bottling company.

>So what? The act of PRODUCTION depletes something. Even your breathing
>depletes the air.

Really? If you leave the biosphere out of it maybe, in which case no
breathable air anyway. So is it just me or the whole system that's
depleting the air when I/we breathe? And are you sure we're not
replenishing it too?

>The problem is not the depletion, its the lack of
>regulation of the RATE of depletion.

:-) That depends on how many angels can dance on the cap of a plastic
water bottle.

>... that [the bottles] has nothing to do with drinking bottled water, that is
>a RECYCLING problem, and we have it with more then just bottled water.

You don't say. (No need to shout.)

>You need to separate the garbage of a product from the product it
>self, they are not the same issue.

Indeed not the same, but not separate either, they're closely
related, obviously, to the point of the one *causing* the other. You
can take such a keyhole approach if you like but I'll pass.

>Wowies 60 million plastic bottles,
>now compare that to 15 BILLION soda bottles that do not get recycled.

So water bottles and soda bottles are the same issue, even if water
bottles and the water that's in them aren't? So then we're not
allowed to talk about soda either? Just the bottles? Or is it the
bottles we're not supposed to be talking about? So then where does
the soda fit in?

Anyway, no need to bother then about a mere 60 million plastic water
bottles discarded per day, nor indeed the 20 million barrels of oil
per year wasted in making them, it just doesn't matter at all because
the soda bottles are so much worse. Hm.

>So what? That is the point of business, to charge as much as you can
>get. If people do not like the price, do not buy it. So far none of
>the people who buy the water do so because the bottle company took
>over or otherwise shut down the city water. THEY CHOOSE TO BUY IT, Do
>not come whining about the price.

Consumer choice? You're not kidding eh? Uh, did you *really* read the
whole thing? I mean READ it? Off the top of your head then - how much
did it say the corps spend on spinning their bottled tap water in
order to flog it at 7,000 times the cost to a gullible public dumbed
down by a 30-year barrage of consumer spin to the tune of hundreds of
billions of dollars a year, and you don't even notice it? Or you
discount it anyway - why, because spin's not effective, it's not a
factor? That's why they go on and on very happily paying for it, eh?
Or do we need to separate that from the product too, it's not the
same issue? Or because you're immune to spin yourself, you think? Or
you just don't notice it, like everyone else?

>"..and tastes better than the stuff that comes out of the tap."
>
>This is a matter of opinion and has nothing to do with the real issues
>here and is only there to detract from the real issue,

Real issue whatever, a major point of the article was that
street-level consumer taste-tests show that people can't tell the
difference between bottled water and tap water. Neither is any other
aspect of quality assured. Quite something for a 7,000-times
value-added mark-up. You're saying that's just an irrelevant
distraction? Like the 60 million discarded bottles a day and the 20
million barrels of oil wasted and the millions of dollars spent on
market manipulation.

Whence all these strange rules you're making Jeromie? It doesn't
count, or it's a separate issue, or it only detracts from the "real
issues" (but I've lost track of whatever it is you think are the real
issues). Well, make whatever rules you like, feel free, but they'll
have to make a little more sense if you want anyone to heed them.

>If it were up to
>me they would get their toys taken away (IE, confiscate the bottling
>plant and the water resource they abused).

So why all the fuss then? Anyway I'll settle for that.

I enoyed Tom's comment:

>But out of curiosity, would my water company be putting  water from a
>tap into plastic bottles and then transporting it over great distances to be
>sold to an unsuspecting public? Would we run adds on TV, in magazines, and
>on billboards suggesting that this is "special" water. Would we have
>athletes, beautiful models, even movie stars giving testimonies as to how
>"special" this bottled water was. What would we call it? Aquafina and Dasani
>are real cool names, but they're already taken. Somehow "Tom's Tap" doesn't
>sound "special" enough even though it is real good water.
>     As a friend, who used to be in advertising often says: "Image and logo
>recognition."
>
>             Gotta go work on the logo.
>                                                    Tom

:-) How about calling it "Real Good Water"? Use old-fashioned general
store-style display type, chuck in something pristine/bucolic for the
background, hang in there for a year or so and Nestle will buy you
out for billions.

We're going to be sorry we're letting all the glaciers and
ice-shelves and so on just melt away into the sea, what a waste,
shouldn't we be bottling them?

Best

Keith