On 8/16/07, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  the evidence shows that as people's economic
> situation improves, as soon as they're not too poverty-stricken to
> feed their children, their breeding rate slows right down.
>
> The surefire way to do that is to empower the women, and especially
> to educate the women.

Statistically, this probably is true.  But in my experience, portions
of the US are not doing very well at this.  The Mormon church in Utah
(about 60 of my relatives) still seems to be averaging 4 or more
children per family, even in good economic situations.  True, this is
way less than alot of the developing world, but still way higher than
most of the developed world.  I'm not as familiar with the evangelical
movement in the US, but I get them impression that empowering women is
not a high priority of theirs either.