Keith,

I'm confused as to the relevance of abiotic over biotic sources of oil.

Given that Hubbert predicted the decline of US fields, I think his approach may
be relevant for any given field, whether abiotic or biotic. Even if the source
were to be abiotic, I think the problem is resource depletion.

Given our timescales, I would say that arguing over the where oil comes from is
a moot point as fields tend to show similar output curves. Reserve growth or
replenishment doesn't appear to have any solid foundation in history (although
I'd be glad to be proven wrong). If oil is abiotic, it has still had many
millions of years to form. At our current rate of usage, I don't think easily
accessible fields will just renew themselves.

I guess the only difference would be that there may be sources elsewhere where
the western geologists haven't looked, due to their assumptions over where the
deposits may lie. This doesn't seem to change the theory of peak oil (for a
given field) for me.

It's true that there are some elements in the peak oil crowd who have a dieoff
agenda. But these are not in the majority, even if they are vociferous. I don't
think that believing that oil will follow a traditional hubbert curve is
necessarily either a scam from the oil companies or a reason to dribble over
forced population reduction. It can also help individuals to decide for
themselves that a more local and appropriate use of resources is the only way
forward. Believe me, there are many who frequent the peak oil forums who have
come to this conclusion.

I'll leave it at that for now.

Best Regards,

David