From: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Monday, 26 October, 2009 22:44:44
Subject: [Biofuel] A Greener Commute

MOTHER JONES

October 26, 2009

<http://ga3.org/ct/hdahf0n1FrqP/>A Greener Commute

Considering how much car travel affects a
<http://ga3.org/ct/h1ahf0n1Frqp/>person's carbon footprint?, I'm
always looking for ways to cut down on my driving time. Luckily for
me, the commute isn't a problem, since a rapid-transit train whisks
me under the San Francisco Bay practically to MoJo HQ's doorstep
every day. But if you don't live near public transportation or a
bike-friendly commute (and you don't happen to have an extra 25 grand
kicking around for a Prius), you're probably going to have to get
creative.

One idea: Get a GPS device. The technology company Navteq recently
<http://ga3.org/ct/U7ahf0n1Frqi/>found that German drivers who were
given navigational devices with real-time traffic information
increased their fuel economy by an average of 12 percent. The
researchers calculated that GPS systems could save 2,006 pounds of
carbon per driver per year, a 24 percent reduction from current
emissions levels.

An ABC <http://ga3.org/ct/ipahf0n1FrqC/>poll estimated the average
American commute at 16 miles one way, creating about 29.3 pounds of
CO2 round-trip every day. According to the Navteq researchers'
findings, then, getting a GPS device is the same as not driving to
work 68 days every year.

A caveat: Since Navteq, the company behind the study, sells software
to GPS manufacturers, it has a vested interest in touting the
benefits of navigational systems. Still, some independent
traffic-savvy types told me they think that the study is solid, if
taken with a few grains of salt. First, the study was conducted in
Germany-and any American who's been to Europe knows that US freeways
take crowded to an entirely different level. Another problem: Once
everyone starts using the alternate route that a GPS suggests, it's,
well, no longer an alternate route. "The impact for any one driver
may be somewhat smaller if more people use these devices and start to
clog up alternate routes," said Tai Stillwater, a graduate student
who studies traffic and sustainability at the University of
California-Davis.

If you don't want to shell out for a GPS (they run about $150-$200),
consider these fuel efficiency <http://ga3.org/ct/ydahf0n1Frqo/>tips.
You can also talk to your boss about telecommuting a few days a week.
And for advice on whether to junk your clunker in favor of a hybrid,
read our piece on the subject <http://ga3.org/ct/n7ahf0n1FrqH/>here.
<http://ga3.org/ct/hdahf0n1FrqP/>[READ MORE]

The bottom line: Public transit's the best way to cut your
commute-related emissions, but if you're stuck with a daily drive,
using a GPS system to find alternate routes could improve your fuel
efficiency considerably.