you're right, keith.  thanks for taking the time to point that out.
it's a sort of double-think process.  there's no doubt in my mind that
many of those who have dialed down their sense of urgency vis a vis
global warming still believe it's a serious problem, but the mild
temps means part of their mind starts to listen to the denial
arguments, if only to allow themselves to postpone the inevitable
adjustments.  the whole consumerist paradigm is indeed fundamental.  i
wanted to tie that in but was a bit pressed for time so tried to hint
at it while making my main point.  re, the hertzen quote, it
definitely has a grim appeal.  those russian arnachists were some bad
actors, weren't they?