A debate between George Monbiot and nuclear opponent Helen Caldicott on
nuclear power on DemocracyNow this morning.

http://www.democracynow.org/

doug swanson

Keith Addison wrote:
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/21/pro-nuclear-japan-fukushima
>
> Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power
>
> Japan's disaster would weigh more heavily if there were less harmful
> alternatives. Atomic power is part of the mix
>
> GEORGE MONBIOT Mar 22 2011
>
> You will not be surprised to hear that the events in Japan have
> changed my view of nuclear power. You will be surprised to hear how
> they have changed it. As a result of the disaster at Fukushima, I am
> no longer nuclear-neutral. I now support the technology.
>
> A crappy old plant with inadequate safety features was hit by a
> monster earthquake and a vast tsunami. The electricity supply failed,
> knocking out the cooling system. The reactors began to explode and
> melt down. The disaster exposed a familiar legacy of poor design and
> corner-cutting. Yet, as far as we know, no one has yet received a
> lethal dose of radiation.
>
> Some greens have wildly exaggerated the dangers of radioactive
> pollution. For a clearer view, look at the graphic published by
> xkcd.com. It shows that the average total dose from the Three Mile
> Island disaster for someone living within 10 miles of the plant was
> one 625th of the maximum yearly amount permitted for US radiation
> workers. This, in turn, is half of the lowest one-year dose clearly
> linked to an increased cancer risk, which, in its turn, is one 80th
> of an invariably fatal exposure. I'm not proposing complacency here.
> I am proposing perspective.
>
> If other forms of energy production caused no damage, these impacts
> would weigh more heavily. But energy is like medicine: if there are
> no side-effects, the chances are that it doesn't work.
>
> Like most greens, I favour a major expansion of renewables. I can
> also sympathise with the complaints of their opponents. It's not just
> the onshore windfarms that bother people, but also the new grid
> connections (pylons and power lines). As the proportion of renewable
> electricity on the grid rises, more pumped storage will be needed to
> keep the lights on. That means reservoirs on mountains: they aren't
> popular, either.
>
> The impacts and costs of renewables rise with the proportion of power
> they supply, as the need for storage and redundancy increases. It may
> well be the case (I have yet to see a comparative study) that up to a
> certain grid penetration -- 50% or 70%, perhaps? -- renewables have
> smaller carbon impacts than nuclear, while beyond that point, nuclear
> has smaller impacts than renewables.
>
> Like others, I have called for renewable power to be used both to
> replace the electricity produced by fossil fuel and to expand the
> total supply, displacing the oil used for transport and the gas used
> for heating fuel. Are we also to demand that it replaces current
> nuclear capacity? The more work we expect renewables to do, the
> greater the impact on the landscape will be, and the tougher the task
> [...]

Bad politicians give the other percent a bad reputation

Contentment comes not from having more, but from wanting less.

All generalizations are false.  Including this one.

This email is constructed entirely with OpenSource Software.