Something is rotten in the state of Sweden.  Or not.  But I do smell a
dead rat in here somewhere.

We have studies from the U.S. that switching from petro-fuel to
electricity for transportation reduces emissions, including greenhouse
gases, even when the electricity comes entirely from coal-fired plants.

However, in Sweden, the primary energy sources are hydro and nuclear
(over 90% of the generation from those two sources).  Fossil sources
produce considerably less than 10% of the electricity mix.  (This
document is a bit dated, but presents the information nicely in a graph
on page 2.
http://ec.europa.eu/energy/energy_policy/doc/factsheets/mix/mix_se_en.pdf)

So, Sweden is switching from conventional gasoline and diesel vehicles
to electric and plug-in hybrids, charging from a grid that is over 90%
supplied from essentially zero-GHG sources, but the emissions are going
up?  And, the actual market penetration is still trivially small - I'm
guessing well below 1% of the total road-going fleet in the country.
Doesn't pass the smell test.  Unfortunately, the article doesn't bother
to cite the evidence used to support it's conclusion.  My suspicion:
the Swedish 'transportation sector' includes something other than
private cars that might be driving the numbers up (e.g., ships burning
bunker C crude).

Actually, after a very limited Web search, I could not find anything
credible that looked like the 'evidence' for the article - just lots of
copy-cat items that also did not provide citations for the desired data.

I did find this, dated January 2011:
http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/figures/change-in-total-ghg-emissions,
which shows Sweden's transportation GHG emissions going up 9% from 1990
to 2008.  The catch is that Sweden did not get serious about EV
incentives until about 2008-2009, a time period not covered by the data
for this report.

Here's someone else's response (found while searching for the 'evidence').

http://dagblog.com/link/what-if-green-products-make-us-pollute-more-10581
(check
the comments by "quinn")

Darryl