> Note that, unlike say TrueType, there is no requirement that glyph paths
> in SVG are a single non-intersecting shape. Even in SVG Tiny, you can
> have a self-intersecting and disjoint shape.
>
> In SVG Full you can put anything as a child of a glyph that you could
> put as a child of a g. So, in your example above, if you already had
> paths with ids on for the three glyphs, you could make a compound glyph
> with three use elements plus any transforms needed to position and size
> them relative to one another.
>
> >> if this is the way I am still stuck with the symbols that are not
> >> unique to music but not standard for regular fonts.
>
> s> Yup. I don't see an easy way to reconcile Feta with the Unicode
> s> charset.
>
> (Unicode is a character coding scheme, not a charset, but the difference
> does not matter much in this discussion).
>
> s>  It sure would be nice if the Lilypond creators had considered
> s> that when designing the fonts.
>
> It would. However, you can use altglyph to get at glyphs for characters
> which have no standardized Unicode character or need a special glyph.

altglyph??
What is altglyph?
> s> I don't know enough about private codepage definition to make a
> s> recommendation on how to proceed when the approved codepages don't
> s> suit your purpose.
>
> Yes, PUA is another possibility.

PUA?
what is PUA?
----------------------------

all this disscussion aside I need a high quality music font with unicode
encodings.

which is my best bet.

1. make one from scratch
2. find a font that is unicoded encoded and has music and somehow
substute the feta glyphs that are possible to replace and leave the
others. Is there such a font.
3. encode as much of feta as is possible and then create the other
glyphs
4. other?

currently lilyxml is creating convertors to have lilypond(tex) process
the music. A project goal is to produce output using xml tools, I gather
the limiting factor here is a svg font with the proper unicode
encodings.

Can someone lay out in plain english what we need to do to acheive this?

Thanks
Aaron
lilyxml

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM