> This being said, it seems a little bit unfair to state that the US
is
> less interested than Europe or Asia in open standards. I was under
the
> impression that HTML and XML are quite successful here!

that was probably a inconsiderate statement of mine - I apologize.

> But with the notable exception of Vancouver, SVG Open was/is
organized
> on the campus of some nice Universities (Tokyo, Enschede,
> Victoria,...). In the US, you will need to go after Companies to
> organize such a thing. You asked individual developers, and this
won't
> do.

I have nothing against more commercialization. I think it is
necessary and there is more demand towards that direction. But I
would not like the commercialization aspect to be overwhelming. And
the conference should be affordable also to students and OS
programmers (be it through rebates, scolarships or both). If there
is more commercialization of the conference we have to ensure that
the quality of the conference remains high. Otherwise we run into
the risk that conference attendees can only talk to (sometimes
technically incompetent) sales people and can't reach the developers
and content creators. That said, I would welcome more commercial
support in the conference, but in a controlled way.

But you have to discuss these issues mainly with Kurt Cagle who also
runs a separate forum for the conference preparation.

If university people organize the SVG.Open conference you also have
to take into account that these people (I include myself into that
group) are probably not that experienced in marketing and would
probably need a hand from you guys from the marketing world. On the
other hand, using university facilities for cheap (or free in some
cases) was/is also invaluable and I doubt if the first SVG.Open
conferences would have made it without the help of universities.

> Besides, SVG on the desktop is still (at best) a few years away
from
> being successful. SVG Mobile is the big thing here so unless we
are
> ready to shift the focus from SVG desktop to SVG Mobile, it will
be
> difficult to capture the attention of the US.

Well, if you look at the proceedings and contributions of the past
SVG.Open conferences SVG mobile was always very well represented.
SVG mobile always had own tracks and a high percentage of the
presentations covered that topic.

I agree that one could discuss putting the mobile aspect into the
conference title/subtitle or more prominently marketing that aspect.

Personally, I would very regret if the SVG people, community and the
W3C would only go after the mobile market and neglect the desktop. I
think both desktop and mobile can benefit from each other and I
would not separate the two in future SVG.Open conferences. SVG has
much to offer on the desktop even if its market share is not yet too
big.

All the best,
Andreas

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/1U_rlB/TM