Hi Ronan,

Let's assume your SVG document is the result of much creative
efforts: i.e., it is the product you are presenting.
Without some means of protecting viewing certain segments of that
product, one can work backwards through that document, and rebuild
the app.

Therefore, by a strategy of encrypting random segments of the
document, it would be almost impossible for someone to reconstuct
it, and therefore use it to work back through its creation methods:
There would not be a nice clean copy of the SVG document that would
display so someone could begin their backward journey to uncover
your wonderous efforts.

I don't loose sleep over this...I agree with you that the effort of
working back through the app can be complex, even when the SVG
document is fully present. However, with a just a tiny bit of
encryption it can become much, much more difficult.

BTW, The best encryption method is one that exists within a "black
velvet box" where its process is never defined...ever.

Musings from the SVG universe,
Francis

Ronan Oger wrote:

> More protection musings,
>
> For most of us, there is no point in protecting the SVG markup.
The only value
> of the markup is that it generates a recognizable design and a
behaviour, and
> that can be stolen by copying the results, rather than going
through the huge
> trouble of understanding the markup details.
>
> More I see SVG, less I understand why people want to 'protect' it.
If we were
> [...]
understand
> the reasoning. However, since most of us are talking about GUIs
and web
> applications with serverside componetns, I simply do not see the
point.

> The hardest and most expensive work in application development is
getting the
> design and the usability right. The next hard bit is getting the
backend to
> do what you want.
>
> The bit about painting the svg image with the svg markup is only
interesting
> right now because none of us have access to good  IDE's that do it
for us.

> But let's not lose perspective... Nobody really is going to take a
complex
> application and copy it by 'stealing' the svg.
>
> The markup part of the GUI is but a tiny fraction of the value of
the
> application, and the fact that people need to know the tricks of
getting the
> SVG to paint what they want to show is exactly what is currently
wrong with
> SVG in commercial use.
>
> Take a look at how flex works... it uses an xml markup to declare
application
> behaviour. The rest of this is handled by a backend that generates
its own
> markup that nobody cares about. That's how it should be, and
that's how it's
> going to have to be for SVG before SVG becomes a widespread
application
> development markup.
>
> By the way, do not over-estimate encryption... PDF's encryption is
only
> activated by readers that respect/implement the encryption. Other
readers
> simply show the content.
>
> Ronan
>
> On Saturday 12 November 2005 03:04, Francis Hemsher wrote:
> > Hi Alastair,
> >  Tossing ideas can be fun and creative.
> >  Protecting SVG, I believe is a possible goal. I don't quite
know how
> >  to get there yet, but I'm working on it. I think this would be a
> >  neat feature for SVG.
> >
> >  I don't quite understand why dynamic SVG would be 'out the
window'
> >  by using your suggestion. After, all, the viewer just wants a
> >  snapshot of what he sees in the browser. Can't we have some
kinda
> >  WYSIWYG in the print?
> >

> >  --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair Fettes"
> >
> >  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  > Just tossing out ideas now.
> >  >
> >  > This could be a way of protecting your SVG content.  Convert
your

> >  SVG
> >
> >  > graphics to PDF and encrypt, then return the output PDF.
People

> >  can
> >
> >  > view your SVG static graphics but not regain their source.
This

> >  would
> >
> >  > also lead to no cross-browser viewing issues.  Of course
dynamic

> >  SVG
> >
> >  > would be out the window with this one I'm afraid.
> >  >
> >  > Alastair
> >  >
> >  > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Alastair Fettes"
> >  >
> >  > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  > > Write yourself a simply client side script and server
> >
> >  application.  To
> >
> >  > > print get the user to click a button of some sort that
calls a

> >  ECMA
> >
> >  > > function that captures the current zoom level, what is
visible -

> >  the
> >
> >  > > current viewbox.  Take this and send it over a redirect URL
> >
> >  your
> >
> >  > > server side application.  On the server side, have your
> >  > > php/jsp/whatever take this viewbox and set it on a copy of
the

> >  SVG
> >
> >  > > server side (in a variable in your app) and have a pre-
authored

> >  XSL-FO
> >
> >  > > file that simply references the SVG.  Then convert this to
PDF

> >  with
> >
> >  > > FOP and redirect the user to the PDF.
> >  > >
> >  > > Done.
> >  > >
> >  > > Cheers,
> >  > > Alastair
> >  > >
> >  > > --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Kalev"
> >
> >  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> >  > wrote:
> >  > > > Hi Francis,
> >  > > >
> >  > > > I have the following setup: IE6, ASV3, HTML page with
embedded

> >  SVG, I
> >
> >  > > > use JavaScript to zoom and pan then simply print the web
page

> >  and the
> >
> >  > > > result is a printed page of the area that was visible on
the

> >  screen.
> >
> >  > > > In order to avoid "squashing" of the svg image while
printed,

> >  I use
> >
> >  > > > absolute dimensions in the style sheets used for print
media

> >  (11in x
> >
> >  > > > 8.5in). Also make sure you set your printer to
LANDSCAPE...
> >  > > >
> >  > > > Peter Kalev
> >  > > > Senior Developer,