Jonathan,

Thanks for the information.

On Tuesday 05 September 2006 17:35, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
> Ronan,
>
> you may or may not know that together with Lisa Seeman a formal
> objection was raised to WCAG2 in respect of the needs of people with
> learning disabilities**.
>
> It is disingenuous in the extreme to suggest that I should work
> through WAI.
> The reason I left WAI was their absolute obsession with HTML,  and
> their disinterest in other technologies
> (I wrote the original accessible client-side scripting guidelines but
> js isn't a w3 technology - yawn)

Sorry, I did not know you had already closed that avenue. I'm not aware of
every group's coming and going. WAI is a member-controlled group, and the
technologies it addresses represent the interests of contributors. Maybe
their disinterest in your point is telling about the usefulness of SVG in the
web context beyond the image space, or about the relative difficulty of
addressing the problem.

> The protocols and format working group supposedly would contribute to
> SVG accessibility understanding and documentation.
> however they have nothing to show. I had offered to join,  and this
> is still awaiting approval many years later...

Maybe you should join the w3c and force your way into it. That seems to be the
traditional way to get a special interest in the w3c.

> I thus chose to work directly with UA developers and other w3 working
> groups such as SVG, RDF etc...
>
> By all means contact WAI and seek direction, but don't think that
> suggesting that I should, excuses the SVG WG from taking such action
> themselves. It is not sufficient to rely on the text of individual
> specs which are deficient in themselves.

Well, actually, I find that the accesibility question is out of scope in svg
beyond allowing hooks into whatever accesibility the players offer. Until
this is addressed, I am not very concerned. As well, I am not really seeing
svg as a mainstream replacement for html.

Generally, the mood in the web is drifting towards microformats and
simplification rather than Yet Another Huge W3C Specification.

Given your interest, Maybe you can come up with an accesibility solution that
is fun and palatable...

Beyond that, you have to start somewhere, and that descriptions and metadata
seems to be as  good a place as any to me.

> Doug for instance chooses which parts of 1.2 will be acceptable.

Well that's perfect, no? Let him make his choice, and then we go from there.

> What research says "Most people would find an audio component
> annoying, "

The research that says that audio components are huge and will double or
triple the size of the original work. Furthermore, we all know that audio is
language specific, so is useless unless you happen to speak the language (or
worse, you carry every language...).

> Audio is clearly a very successful function of flash. evidently
> macromedia don't concur, and it seems neither do adobe.

Audio is relevant in certain aspects, true. However, it is not a required
functionality everywhere. An SVG icon is NOT an application.

> If true why is there no requirement for a UA option to turn it off?
> Mozilla appear to be using this as a rationale for not implementing what

There is a requirement to turn off sound in every computer. it's the volume
control. The reason this requirement is not in the UA is that it is out of
scope.

I fail to understand why you are pushing for the most obtuse possible soution
to accesibility, rather than to offer a universal solution: bind to the
accesibility capabilities of the players. My browser konqueror, for example,
provides numerous accesibility capabilites at the player level, removing any
need for this capability at the content level. It automatically discerns
every ui-capable component and generates a text key shortcut on it on demand.

There, I see something useful, unlike a requirement for an aural cue, a
smellogram, or a mood generator.

Ronan