In a message dated 08/28/2001 2:00:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< PS:  This is an honest curious question -- I'm not "mad" that someone
 "out-sniped me" or anything.  The goal of these questions is not to talk
 badly about sniping, but to try to understand why it exists when proxy
 bidding makes it unnecessary. >>

For one it is exciting and makes it possible to get a bargain. If you have
your max bid in someone can come along and "test" it (I've seen people drive
up a person's bid to the max for "fun")

Tom