[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 08/28/2001 2:37:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> << How can you tell they were "testing" it and not honestly bidding for the
>  item? >>
>
> Well usually a person has a max around a round figure, say $100 for fun.
> Someone will increase bids below the round figures, say $24.09, 49.09, 74.09,
> 99.09 until they catch the max. The 99.09 would drive it to $100 instead of
> $102.xx or whatever so you know you have reached the limit. I saw someone
> drive up an item to the max of $2000 just for fun, they had no intention of
> buying the item.

Ouch.  I think I understand now; they'll bid in $.50 increments until
the system won't let them bid something that won't break past the
minimum-allowable bid?  Geez.

It sounds like everyone *has* to snipe in order for the system to be
"fair".  This is really starting to stink :)
--
http://www.MobyGames.com/
The world's most comprehensive gaming database project.