Pedro Quaresma wrote:

> Jim Leonard wrote:
> >Trust me, I can classify them.  :)  Genres haven't blurred; people's minds
> >have.  Go ahead -- hit me with something difficult.
>
> Jagged Alliance, Birthright.
> Wait, want really difficult ones? OK then: Europa 1400 The Guild, King of
> Dragon Pass :)

Jagged Alliance: Strategy, subgenres Role-Playing.
Birthright: Same as Jagged Alliance, with Medieval Fantasy thrown in.
Europa 1400: The Guild: Strategy, subgenres Managerial.
King of Dragon Pass: Adventure (finally) + Strategy, subgenres Managerial,
Role-Playing.  (Wow, this game looks interesting -- I'll try to play it)

These aren't hard to classify.  In fact, no game is hard to classify.  I think
what is missing for most people is that no clear agreement of what some genres
like "adventure" or "RPG" mean.  Properly defining genres has been one of our
missions since inception.  Take a look at some MobyGames genres (find a game
and click on the genre to get its description); I would very much like to know
if anyone thinks we have something defined incorrectly.

Most people don't have a problem with the way MobyGames defines a genre, but
some people have a problem with the Main genres (Action, Adventure,
Educational, Racing / Driving, Simulation, Sports, Strategy).  Every month we
refer people to the FAQ question "Why isn't RPG a Main genre?".
--
http://www.MobyGames.com/
The world's most comprehensive gaming database project.