Edward Franks schrieb:

>         The problem is that you can easily swap in role-playing games as a
> basic building block in place of Adventure.  The same justifications
> work for either.  The two are so close together (more than any of the
> other categories) that it is hard sometimes to see the unique
> differences.

That is true. Most likely that was also the reason why Infocom ventured
into RPGs later on.

But I don't agree with Jim on making RPGs a subgenre. There are two
strong indications for having a RPG at hand: character development and a
party.

Moby categorizes Bard's Tale as "Adventure, 1st-Person Perspective,
Medieval Fantasy, Role-Playing (RPG)," and Ultima IV as  "Adventure,
Top-Down, Medieval Fantasy, Role-Playing (RPG)" but IMHO both are just
RPGs.

Maybe steering a party should be a subgenre and 1st person perspective
should be dropped as one. Many games from very different genres nowadays
are first person perspective, so this does not serve for much of a
distinction.

Marco