On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 05:26  PM, Jim Leonard wrote:
[Snip
You've presented some strong arguments and I'm going to have to think about
them before coming up with a rebuttal. But first let me pose some situations
and questions:

1. Adventure was the first computer game, yes?
Nope. :) Space War was (circa 1960). MIT students meet the PDP-1 and the cathode-ray tube.

  It was not an RPG.  So
computer adventure games came before computer RPGs, right?
Yes. However, adventure games came from pen-n-paper RPGs. From the _first_ pen-n-paper RPG to be exact which started a whole new game genre. The reason I'm pointing stuff out that is outside computer games is that in the case of Adventure there is no prior computer game influences for it. You have to look outside of computer games to see what the influences/lineages was.

2. The Adventure genre encompasses *all* fantasy-style gaming. So RPG fits
into it, yes? If not, why?
No, because you you can have non-fantasy based RPGs. Wasteland and Fallout for example. (I'm assuming that you are using the term fantasy to mean the generic pseudo-medieval Tolkien-esque settings.)

Like with fantasy, one of the problems with the word adventure is that it can mean a very, very broad category. So broad that it can become meaningless. (Role-playing has the same problem as you are basically playing a role in every game.)

In fact, if you wanted to you could view the SSI Gold Box crpgs en-masse as the RPG system and each individual game as a particular adventure. This would have a nice correspondence to the pen-n-paper world where the rules are the RPG and each module is the adventure. But this is really more having on an adventure rather than playing an "adventure" game. :) Darn those multiple word meanings.

--

Edward Franks