John Romero wrote:

> I worked on it with my friend Lane Roathe.  Lane did the 256-byte RWTS
> routine (the low-level) and I did the high-level code that supported the
> disk structure and API.  There's an easter egg in there too. :)  Here's
> a link to it: http://hometown.aol.com/graemecree/infobugs/infonote.htm

OT:  This document is full of cool info, but he's blatantly wrong on Amnesia.
Here's a copy of the letter I wrote him:

---quote begin---
In your excellent Infonotes document, you write that you can't believe that
Amnesia required you to reboot the machine to exit the game.

I can't believe it either, because what you were playing was a pirated version
"converted" to DOS.  It never existed commercially in that form.  The original
game is bootable, meaning it had a custom OS and booted directly from the
floppy disk.  While rare for the IBM PC, over 100 of these PC bootable disks
were created during the first decade of the IBM PC's life.  You can get a list
of all the PC bootable games we have documented at MobyGames here:
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/a,4/?o=a1

If you'd like to verify my information, check out the rap sheet on Amnesia
here:  http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,4/gameId,1775/  Specifically,
check out the diskette label here:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/covers/gameCoverId,14584/gameId,1775/  which
clearly says IBM PC/XT/etc. and "boot this side".

So now that you know it's bootable, the request to reboot the machine to exit
the game is no more unreasonable than bootable games on other platforms.  So
could you be fair to the poor, always-picked-on-as-a-gaming-platform IBM PC
and adjust your note about Amnesia?  I don't think it should be judged on the
converted pirated copy you got a hold of :-)
----quote end----
--
http://www.MobyGames.com/
The world's most comprehensive gaming database project.