Dan Chisarick wrote:

At the hight of my media conversion insanity, I had everything on a 4-port KVM. Now all the old machines are on their own network. I used a P-90 running Windows 98 w/a 5.25" Gateway drive that I sold and later asked for it back (they weren't using it). I also have a CPS Option Board, but not an ancient machine w/360k drives to make it happy. There was an upgrade for 1.2MB drives I think. Jim?

Later software upgrades supported 1.2MB disks, but not copy-protection. Meaning, very simple oddities like less/more tracks per sector, or odd sector sizes, were copyable -- but something wacko like missing indexes or goofy-long GAP sequences were not. It was added primarily to address the requests of customers who wanted to dupe 1.2MB floppies in one pass, without swapping, and at 2x or faster speeds (the Central Point Option Board writes and verifies disks at least twice as fast as a regular floppy controller). I believe any TransCopy version 5.x will do this (use the "TCM" binary, not the "TC" binary).

As an aside, I use Disk Factory to image my PC games. Doesn't seem to like newer, faster machines or Windows XP. Anyone have a preferred PC archive tool that actually works w/modern hardware? (I remember talking about my Apple imaging tools, but not PC...)

I use only Option Boards for protected disks. While I use different versions for different protections when DUPLICATING disks, I use only TransCopy v5.4 images for ARCHIVAL. This is because 5.4, while "dumbed down" to not copy as many formats as earlier versions, is the most stable. (BTW, word of warning, each TransCopy version will only read image files created by that version.)
--
Jim Leonard ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) http://www.oldskool.org/
Want to help an ambitious games project? http://www.mobygames.com/