From: Edward Franks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Jan 30, 2004 9:25 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SWCollect] Rarity Scale

On Jan 29, 2004, at 10:12 PM, BL wrote:

> Well, I've thought of that, but there's a lot of factors involved, like
> condition etc that will effect prices.  If we pioneered an ebay title
> posting format, then well, it would be pretty easy.  Or alternatively,
> we
> could only use those entries that have certain information in the
> title, or
> yet another possibility - just use all "found" auction data, and make
> that
> the "middle of the road" average.  I'd be interested in something like
> this,
> and  could code the DB and app.

        Good luck parsing this auction correctly
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&item=3074939557&category=3561>.  ;-)

        Between the typos and the combined auction you're in trouble.  Also,
you are going to *have* to deal with the auction descriptions, if only
to separate out all the permutations of game and parts.  A listing for
Ultima IV that pegs an auction of just the disks with an auction with
everything will royally mess up your rarity scale.  Even if there is an
app scraping eBay for the basic info, I can still see people spending a
lot of time making judgment calls about where each auction fits.

        I'm not saying it can't be done, but I think you'll spend more time
hand massaging the data than you might realize.

--

Edward Franks