At 16:29 15/03/2004 +0100, you wrote:
The C64 tapes I’ve sampled myself worked when done in mono but would give me loading errors if I tried stereo, so I would not recommend using stereo for anything. Can’t say I’m for or against 8-bit or 16-bit, I guess the best thing to do is some trial and error. J

Yes, stereo is not good for extraction, but with a stereo file, the left and right mono channels can be extracted individually. I'm not talking about a simple stereo -> mono convertion that will mix both channels, which is not good. I'd say more data is always better than less, if they are properly handled.

Vincent.