I just looked at this too the other day (xml2swf and swf2xml) to check
out the headers... One thing I found interesting was that the XML
generated from my swf that links all the shared lib swfs I have been
using (only a 5k swf, so was not so tough to look at the XML); the XML
had many duplicate lines for symbols used in the timelines of linked
swfs. It seemed that it had a new line for each frame (or keyframe,
but seemed like more than that...) of the timeline where that symbol
appeared. Seemed like only one such reference would be needed, so, I
removed many of the duplicate lines, sent it back through swfmill,
and, to my surprise, it all still seemed to work fine!

Regards,
Hudson