This is true, but the exists no IDE for Linux.  A few are in the works,
but none are really that close.  There was qflash it's dead, f4l is dead
and has moved to uira.  ktoon does create swf's with an IDE, but it's
aimed at animators.  And really the only thing that would have to be
kept up is swfmill compatible XML files.  I just hate switching back and
forth between windows and linux all the time.

BTW, uira (http://www.uira.org/) is in active development, I've
mentioned several times on their channels about maybe using swfmill and
XML with their front-ends but again there was little interest.  But I
believe they're making good progress.  Let's no forget that some folks
are trying to bring back swfplayer as the resurrected gnash for linux.
Many things are working, except for some of the new tags.  I think that
keeping up with MM releases has always been a challenge for any OS Flash
developer.  But there are many more people working on it now, and in
most cases really aren't that far behind the commercial stuff.  Dan does
a good job keeping up with the swf spec, and if swfmill were to pick up
some sponsors, then I'm sure it could for many years.  And as I said
before, the IDE I have in mind would only generate XML files.  I'm just
mulling over the best way to handle images at the moment.

I like the idea of editing swf's for clients using swfmill though.  The
possibilities really are limitless and XML is such a universal
language.  Think about this, a simple IDE/Gui/Frontend written in php
that outputs XML and the calls swfmill.  You could have your clients
making changes to their own swf's over http right on your servers.  And
it's entirely possible.  Maybe they want to try a different font, change
a color, or image.  They wouldn't have to call you every time to get it
done.  The whole thing hinges around the XML though.

I just think that only using swfmill for the creation of libraries is
over simplifying it's ability and could one day be it's death.  We owe
it to Dan to at least explore other uses.  That's the spirit of open source.

Hudson Ansley wrote:
> IMO, creating a full-blown IDE would be prohibitively time consuming,
> and there is Flash, after all :) Seems like one would have a very hard
> time keeping up with their new releases...
> That being said, I think it is useful to the extreme that one can
> convert a swf to XML then back again if you need to make some
> search/replace type of changes. You could make a tool for a client to
> make specific modifications to a delivered SWF without having to have
> flash...  tools that would analyse a swf for project specific
> issues... lots of possibilities...
>
> Regards,
> Hudson

Jon Molesa