> On May 2, 2016, at 2:17 PM, David Hart <da...@hartbit.com> wrote:
> John,
>
> When the core team implemented the `if let x? = y` experiment and later
> backtracked, were you enthusiastic about it? The way Jordan puts it "Yeah, as
> nice as it sounds, it didn’t work out in practice.” sounds very definite, as
> if it was an obvious and unanimous decision to backtrack.

I wouldn't say it "didn't work out in practice."  It's not like we ran into
some design/implementation hurdle that we weren't expecting.  We had adopters
who were annoyed at having to make a pervasive change by hand that they felt
wasn't an improvement.  I felt then (and continue to feel) that it would have
been fine if we had spelled it with a question mark to begin with; but since we
didn't, it was seen as a pointless regression in the amount of punctuation in
Swift code, which was a very sensitive topic at the time.

And you know, that's okay.  Language design is design, not art; our goal here
is to make a great tool that helps people, not to make a perfect
self-consistent expression of an idea.  If we can do both, wonderful, but if we
can't, well, it's pretty nice to have users.

John.