On 28.02.2009, at 21:52, Martin Ebnoether wrote:

> On the Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 12:39:46PM +0100, Tonnerre Lombard
> blubbered:
>
>> Apple is gaining a lot of market share, and their products configure
>> IPv6 all by themselves. Same goes for Windows Vista. Ok, for XP you
>> have to install IPv6 support first, I think.
>
> True, true. Though, there still are some Win 2000 and even older
> OS around.

Sure and there are some analogue TV around who can't watch HDTV. What
do you do to those. The Industry of which Fust and Interdiscount etc
live of have shown many times in history that they produce products of
lifespans of 1-2 years. I'm sure some of you have betamax video
recorders, HD-DVD players, Analogue TV's, Natel-C's etc out there
which all can no longer be used. You can't have everything. But you
can update your Win2000 box to run Linux (or WinXP or Vista if you
have the patience). Win2000 is end of life, end of support by
Microsoft. Its 9 years old by now. And I'm sure a 9 year old computer
will have plenty of problems in today's Internet with highspeed video
etc.

>>> Besides, even if they start offering v6 today, users will not buy
>>> it,
>>> because of that Interdiscount/Fust issue. Also most windows PCs and
>>> home servers would need some tuning for v6.
>>
>> Not true, see above.
>
> What about all the plastic routers, firewalls and WLAN access
> points? And then, gameconsoles, mobile phones, PDAs,
> Squeezeboxes, etc?

Pure WLAN access points are ethernet bridge devices, they don't care
about IPv4 or IPv6 except for their own configuration (which can stay
on 192.168.x.x without a problem). Only if they do in addition NAT you
get into trouble. On the other hand if you have native IPv6 on your
ethernet, you don't need NAT anymore and all your NAT issues go away
(why does MSN/Skype/ICQ filetransfer sometimes do not work behind NAT
and sometimes it does? Why does my VoIP not work properly etc etc.)

Firewalls in any case have to deal with IPv6 if you like it or not but
because you skip NAT, it becomes a lot simpler as it's simply a port
blocker.
You would be surprised how many of the "plastic boxes" support IPv6
today or can be made to support it with a simple software update. It
might not be widely advertized yet.

Remember this discussion is about OFFERING IPv6. Not REQUIRING IPv6.
IPv4 will stay here for quite some time but an upgrade path has to be
established. This is a long term transition and the IPv6 standards
have lots of things in them to allow a smooth transition. And the
first steps are the backbones. Today all the good ones have IPv6 in
the core. And if not, you can use IPv4/IPv6 tunnels. Mainstream
operating systems all have IPv6 support built in. The access link is
now the last hurdle. The standards are there. You just have to plan
and execute.