On 29.07.24 11:10, Aaron Rainbolt wrote:
The idea is to make it so that *existing* SWORD clients can be able to
access data on remote servers without downloading the whole thing. I
laid out some reasons why this is helpful in certain use cases in my
first email. Existing SWORD clients are meant to retrieve information
from libsword and then render it in somme way, thus to maximize the
possibility of adoption, my hope was to implement in libsword the
ability to fetch "raw" data from a remote server and then pass it
through to the client, which already has code for rendering it however
the client chooses. Ideally a client should need to do nothing more
than point an SWMgr object at the remote server and then use it exactly
the same way it would use a local repository (perhaps with some extra
error checks for things like timeouts, interrupted connections, and
whatnot).

In my opinion, this is not worth the effort. Is it really too much for the client to download the whole module(s) to some temporary storage or RAM?

Also, how do you envision this to work with existing SWORD clients?

Best regards,
Jaak