weaverryan wrote:
> Well I don't have a lot of input for you - but I thought i'd chime in
> with words of encouragement. I too would love to see this - I hate
> tables and I hate having to do things like alternate their row colors.
> However, it's often a great way to display data and seems like it
> should be just as easy as basically echoing an object.
>
> I'd be happy with just the basic functionality at first - not as
> worried about the edit | details | delete links.

Well, if it's going to get done - it's probably worth thinking about
these kind of things to start with.

The reason I'm working with the idea that you loop though your data, and
addRow()s , rather then just binding your results is that often you want
to get at related items in your resultset, or format them , and trying
to put that into some kinda markup woudl be too hard.

Im' not sure if that makes *any* sense, so her.e..

foreach($users as $u)
{
   $rowdata = array(
     'user' => $u->getUsername(),
     'name' => $u->getFirstName() . ' ' . $u->getLastName(),
     'count' => $u->getSomething()->getCount(),
   );
}

There there's 2 examples of where the data binding is not as simple as a
single table column to data column mapping.

However, the problem comes in in maintaining a good separation between
data and view....  This kind of logic is perhaps too complicated for the
View, but probably shouldn't be in the action code...

What if you wanted to have the user name in bold? What if you wanted to
turn it into a link, where does the logic for linking sit?

I'm mostly thinking aloud here btw, I'm not sure I'm going to have time
to develop this for my current project after all...

--

Ian P. Christian ~ http://pookey.co.uk