I don't think Lukas is suggesting the constriction of plugin
development.  Rather, he's suggesting that symfony should not host
plugins that have a license that is not supported by the symfony community.

In short, you can use whatever licensing terms that you want.  But if
you want the license hosted by symfony, then it has to be one of the
"approved" licenses.  Otherwise, the developer is responsible for
hosting and advertising themselves.

With so many licenses floating around out there, it's very easy to get
confused about what conflicts with what.  As a struggling independent
developer, I don't have the time to become enough of a lawyer to know
which licenses will conflict with which project I'm working on.  It
would be nice to know, for certain, that that plugin I pulled off of the
symfony plugin repository will not conflict with anything license wise
because it uses the same or a similar license to symfony itself.

Perhaps a suitable compromise would be to come up with a tag in the
plugin repository that labels a plugin as "unsupported license" or
something similar?

Charley