Hi cleve,

I also use SVN to deploy my project's (ähm currently only one :-))
I use "svn propedit svn:ignore" to ignore that files on commit and
commit that files as ".dist" as example: "database.yml.dist"

I use a self made script on my clients servers to update theier repos.
set the permissions and run if found a updater scripts for that revision.

For me that works perfect currently ( one Projekt, 2 BIG clients ).

Hope i could help,
Rene Jochum

P.s.: I keep symfony in the sandbox way
(%SF_ROOT_DIR%/lib/vendor/symfony/) as svn:external with a fixed revision