I'm still in the latter stages of development, but my strategy is to
allow my deployment to easily rollback to the previous version and
avoid any mistakes in terms of SVN syncing.

I see it going something like this:

load desired svn tag in my development copy
smoke test development copy
disable development copy
backup (copy) staging environment using a script (remove previous
backup on completion)
disable staging copy
project:deploy from my development environment to a staging
environment
prep staging environment using a script (eg: rename controllers from
non-PHP to PHP, rename rsync ignore file and use a version for
staging, clear cache, etc)
enable staging application
smoke test on staging environment
backup (copy) production environment using a script (remove previous
backup on completion)
disable staging and production applications
project:deploy from my staging environment to my production
environment
prep production environment (similar to staging)
enable production application

I haven't tried it all of it yet, so I will have to work out the
kinks.

Steve