For me it's very important, to automate that task so a user can run the
complete upgrade without the need of my help.

The upgrade process should run on a unix (Mac/BSD/Linux) box, without
the requirement of ruby.

But using patches as you described, is something i have to implement.

Also i agree to not depend on the sf framwork for updates, if something
goes wrong the updater also isn't able to run anymore.

Thank your for your descriptions,

Rene Jochum