It's not just code examples though, it's more the "gotchas" or
misunderstandings that other people have had but can then comment on
to say "actually, you might think this does x but it does y instead".
The mod up / mod down is also a good idea so that bad examples can get
buried or removed completely. The PHP docs have official "examples"
directly in the API docs - I know there are plenty of examples in the
symfony book but when you're after a specific usage of a particular
function it's harder to wade through. Maybe the best examples in the
comments can get "promoted" to the official API directly above them
with enough votes?

The "Definitive Guide" / "Practical Symfony" should be the "how to
write Symfony apps" docs and the API should be a quick reference -
there's bound to be some overlap but that's not really a bad thing as
long as it's consistent info.