Stored procedures, while seemingly convenient, are actually not a good idea
if you want to ensure your application remains properly database
abstracted/agnostic. Stored procedures are in most cases not transferable
between database type. For example, MySQL handles stored procedures very
differently to MSSQL and there are differences as well to PostgreSQL.

In my development I avoid stored procedures and only use them as a last
resort and even then as little as possible and reluctantly. Usually you can
replicate what a stored procedure does in code and so they are not actually
necessary.

If you do use Propel custom queries you will probably need to look at using
the doSelectRS (Propel 1.2) or doSelectStmt(Propel 1.3 and up) to accomplish
it, but bear in mind the implications if you need to switch databases.

--
Gareth McCumskey
http://garethmccumskey.blogspot.com