What I call "rendering templates" is only the view part of the MVC
model. Waiting for XML and reading them is definitly between Model
(beans) and Controler (actions and readers). But our templates are a
bit complex : depending on the offer size, we have 12 different main
templates to render an offer. And for each one, we need about 10
partials to render some common field on our offers.

I will have a closer look tomorrow at the "project:optimize" task. It
could be usefull even if IO does not seem to be the bottleneck (we
monitor them with some Nagios scripts and IO are not an issue for the
moment).

About the routing we are using it, using it a lot in fact ! But I've
added a timer inside the "url_for" method and it does not cost
anything at all. We already made the choice to reference routes by Id
and not module/action so it prevents Symfony to perform useless array
searches.

We don't share session across servers : we only save a few information
inside cookies and we try to have as few cookie as possible since they
are consuming some bandwidth and, so, some performances for our
customer. We are basically working with only two cookies : one for
storing an uniqueId (very usefull for statistics) and the other to
track the traffic source (SEO, SEM, spontaneous, partnership, ...). We
did the choice to be sessionless to avoid having to deal with sharing
sessions between servers (ort even datacenters) : it's costly and
often hard to maintain (even with a session warehouse).
Thanks again ! I think my next moves will be to : test XHProf, refine
my timer usage to track closely what happened in some costly
algorithms (like templates) and, finally, contact Sensio to discuss
about having an expert working with us for a few days. But I'll let
this last part to my CTO :)

Rémi

security at symfony-project.com