Here's a status report of sympycore project:

The sympycore sympy.core package is quite stable,
It is about 1016 lines of code and has 94% of tests coverage.
I am currently working on sympy.artithmetics package
to make Add, Mul instances iterable efficiently, in fact, at
the moment I expect additonal ca 1.25x speed up from this work
(with respect to current sympycore svn).
The current plan is to stabilize sympy.arithmetics,
sympy.logic.symbolic,
sympy.logic.sets packages and then work on the assumptions
model, all these packages are prerequisites for the model.

I don't think that is reasonable to start writing sympy in C/C++
(btw, I also would prefer C over C++),
we still have many issues unsolved even in Python.
However, I think writing Rational/Fraction classes and related
routins in C/C++ might give considerable speedup and it would
be useful already. Maybe writing also mpmath.lib
routines in C/C++ might be a good idea to get comparable
speed with GMP.

Pearu