> Here's a status report of sympycore project:
>
> The sympycore sympy.core package is quite stable,
> It is about 1016 lines of code and has 94% of tests coverage.
> I am currently working on sympy.artithmetics package
> to make Add, Mul instances iterable efficiently, in fact, at
> the moment I expect additonal ca 1.25x speed up from this work
> (with respect to current sympycore svn).
> The current plan is to stabilize sympy.arithmetics,
> sympy.logic.symbolic,
> sympy.logic.sets packages and then work on the assumptions
> model, all these packages are prerequisites for the model.

Awesome, good job! I am sorry I don't have much time to help with
that, but when you make some progress with the assumptions,
I'll help to port that to SymPy, because this is really needed.

> I don't think that is reasonable to start writing sympy in C/C++
> (btw, I also would prefer C over C++),
> we still have many issues unsolved even in Python.
> However, I think writing Rational/Fraction classes and related
> routins in C/C++ might give considerable speedup and it would
> be useful already. Maybe writing also mpmath.lib
> routines in C/C++ might be a good idea to get comparable
> speed with GMP.

Thanks for the ideas. I think the Rational/Fraction classes should be
done in Cython, or at least wrapped using Cython - the wrappers are
virtually the same good as if you did that by hand, but freaking easy
to write/maintain.

Ondrej