Yeah, I tried to use from math import * (to avoid look ups), but I
failed somehow.

Anyway, here the result of Sage's timeit for evaluating f(1.0r)
(finally I got the point of the r :):

compiled:    625 loops, best of 3: 2.12 µs per loop
lambda:      625 loops, best of 3: 15.8 µs per loop
fast_float:  625 loops, best of 3: 4.54 µs per loop (roughly matches
with yours)

fast_float seems to be 3.5 times faster than pure Python, this matches
with my other benchmark (which is affected by Python's loop overhead).

Thank you for your support.

Vinzent