On Apr 8, 2:50 pm, Vinzent Steinberg
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 3 Apr., 13:35, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<SNIP>

> > Yep, and since there are also a bunch of Sympy users on Windows some
> > of the assumptions about the presence of gcc might not hold. Sage is
> > getting ported to MSVC and not having to need a compiler for fast_eval
> > is a big plus since the presence of MSVC cannot be assumed. That will
> > also break Cython, but if one is using Cython one should be aware of
> > the fact that you need a compiler :)
>
> I'll try to port it to Windows/MinGW during the next weeks (my free
> time is currently quite limited).
> MSVC is not really an option, but it could be possible somehow...
> Well, and I wrote it actually for sympy (which as no fast_float), not
> for sage (of course it can be used there, but it's not really
> necessary imo). Replacing fast_float was never my intention. I did not
> even know of it when I wrote my code. :)

This is not about duplication of efforts in Sage. My point was to
illustrate that the assumption "C compiler == gcc" does not hold. And
even with gcc you might run into trouble on other platforms. One
example: While the Sun Forte cc does define log2 in math.h the math.h
provided by Solaris 9 and the system does not. Hence if you use log2
with gcc on Solaris it will not work. This seems to be a minor issue
in your case, but from experience porting software is hard. Not
writing code hardwired for one toolchain is worth it from my
experience.

And most people on Windows do not even have a compiler installed. It
might be different for the people that Sympy appeals to, but I would
assume that the ratio of developers to users on Windows probably much
worst for Sympy to the ration on Linux.

<SNIP>

> Thoughts are quite welcome, including disagreement of course. :)
> Indeed, thank you!
>
> Cheers,
> Vinzent

Cheers,