On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 10:44:19AM +0200, Ondrej Certik wrote:

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Kirill Smelkov
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 04:54:52PM +0200, Ondrej Certik wrote:

> >> Thanks again for the feedback. Yes, it's just a quick draft of the concept.
> >>
> >> My motivation is to have a site, that would be useful both for the new
> >> people and also for experienced people.
> >> I don't like frames though.  But let's just try couple more different
> >> designs and we'll find some good balance.
> >
> > I'd like to say that I too would like to have a shell on start page.
> >
> > My initial reaction to lite.sympy.org was positive, but I though it
> > would not serve as a start page, but now I've rethought it, and I too
> > think that minimalistic, cool, pretty and hooking starting web page is
> > good, and of course, having an isympy terminal right there would be
> > cool.
> >
> > If we'd manage to get full isympy+ipython running inside, it would be
> > great!
> >

> > Let's try it and see what happens.
> >
> > I'm not a web guy, nor I know javascript & friends, but we could use
> > something like ajaxterm for colorful terminal emulation:
> >
> > http://antony.lesuisse.org/qweb/trac/wiki/AjaxTerm
>
> Yep, neither am I a web guy.  One argument for not putting a shell on
> our front page is that the current online shell experience is not as
> good as running isympy on your computer (pretty printing, ipython,
> ...). Something can be improved (pretty printing), but something will
> be a lot of work (ipython). But maybe if we write very clearly, that
> this is only to whet your appetite and you should download the sympy
> and try it on your comp to get all the features of ipython, then it
> may be ok.
>
> But maybe it won't be that hard. What I use/like on ipython is just:
>
> 1) the look and feel (lines starting with [1] etc.)
> 2) tab completion
> 3) ? and ??
> 4) inteligent up/down arrows history browsing
>
> and I think that's all. So when thinking about it again,

And then you'll want

- colors,
- access to history (In[1], Out[2], etc...),
- autocalls (one could write "sin x" instead of "sin(x)" or "dump smth"
  instead of "dump(smth)"
- autoindenting when entering short loops or shot functions
- %who, %whos
- probably %time and %timeit
- etc ...

All the things ipython already provides.

> 1) should be easy to fix, or at least come to a very close look & feel,
> 2) This will be hard, as it will require an interaction between the
> webbrowser and the server. We may learn from Sage, ipython1 or
> http://knoboo.com/
> 3) this should be easy, it will simply copy the command to the server,
> and in python we'll parse it and return some help
> 4) will have to be implemented in javascript, but I could also live
> without it quite well,

I think this way we are going to duplicate the effort. Maybe it would be
better to spend time and energy on web-porting ipython itself?

> Note, that the requirement is that it runs on the google app server.

Yes, it should run on restricted environment, for sure.

But why we set "running on google app server" as a requirement? App
server itself is very young and is moving target, and it is *app server*
who should adapt to what people need, not the vice versa.

So I think if it runs on google app server -- that would be good, but I
think we should not put it on *that* high priority.

For example here:

http://groups.google.com/group/sympy-patches/msg/fe47f11fc20125c7

we reject common Python practice in favour of GAPPS

As said before, I think we should not get this attitude:

First, I believe this particular proble could be solved on GAPPS - you
could install mpmath separately there, and

Second, we are going to add troubles for "plain" distributions like
Debian, where mpmath should be already there as a separate package, and
distributors would have to change a lot of lines instead of only one
line adding thirdpart modules to sys.path.

> Anyone interested in implementing these? :)

If time permits I'd be interested in helping preparing "restricted"
Python interpreter build.

--
    Всего хорошего, Кирилл.

P.S. Google says in GAPPS one does not have access to files.

That's true - they removed it so a program could be run in cluster
_somewhere_, and so it could be migrated freely, and also for security
reasons.

But I believe access to files could be emulated on top of the DB that
GAPP engine provedes.

Just a note.