Ondrej Certik wrote:
>> Disadvantage -- if one needs to set entries of a Matrix using the
>> syntax "A[1, 2] = y" not only at the beginning of the calculaton, but
>> also in the middle, then he would have to do: A = Matrix(Array(A)[1,2]
>> = y). Of course A[1,2] = y would create an exception saying: "use the
>> A = Matrix(Array(A)[1,2] = y)" syntax.
>
> Advantage -- the vectorization will use Arrays/lists, while Matrix
> will be reserved for strictly mathematical thing.

I really like the idea of sympy.Array.

We should also resolve the somewhat ad-hoc naming/call signature of
functions that create special matrices in the process, consider:

numpy: zeros(), ones(), accepting arbitrary shape tuple
sympy: zeronm( n, m ), one( n )

This is not good, and easy to fix even now, at least for the 2D matrices
(or should I say arrays?). I do not propose removing zeronm and one, of
course, as it would probably break a lot of code, but implementing also
zeros and ones. The former may print some future deprecation warning, as
usual.

r.