On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
> Ok, so this doesn't work for you?
>
> $ python
>
> then I think your terminal doesn't support unicode afterall. Which
> terminal are you using? cmd.exe, or something else?

Correct; α works but β fails. So I tried the command line; created a
file from something I said, & saved it as utf-8 text:

C:\Users\chesky>type test_uni.txt
Now α is fine, but something there still is that doesn’t like a β…
C:\Users\chesky>cat test_uni.txt
Now I± is fine, but something there still is that doesnâ?Tt like a I²â?▌
C:\Users\chesky>chcp 65001
Active code page: 65001

C:\Users\chesky>type test_uni.txt
Now α is fine, but something there still is that doesn’t like a β…
C:\Users\chesky>cat test_uni.txt
cat: write error: Permission denied

The terminal I’m using is the Windows default, commonly (though
incorrectly) associated with cmd.exe. The test here I ran with Lucida
Console, and with DejaVu Sans Mono.

If someone has had better luck with another program, I’m ready to try it.

—Joel