OK, so this is really weird.  It turns out that the problem was that I
was using double quotes.  When I changed it to single quotes as in

PS1='\[\e[31;40m\]\h:\W \u\[\e[0;33m\]$(__git_ps1 "(%s)")\[\e[31;40m\]$
\[\e[0m\]'

It changes as expected.  Is the behavior the same in Linux?  If so, it
probably has something to do with the way bash handles single quote
and double quote strings that I don't know about because I don't know
any bash.  Otherwise, it is a strange Mac OS X "feature".

A commenter on the blog you linked to said that you need to escape the
first $ to get this to work, but for me escaping makes it not work.
You might put that in there too though because it might be different
for linux or something.

I wouldn't use my prompt as an example, as it looks kind of bad if
your terminal does not have a black background and all the color stuff
kind of distracts from the point anyway.  Probably a better example is

export PS1='\w$(__git_ps1 "(%s)")$'

which is pretty simple and straight forward (and works on my machine).

Lastly, reading the /git-completion.bash file, it looks like you can
set the GIT_PS1_SHOWDIRTYSTATE environment variable to a non-empty
value to show a * next to the branch name for unstaged changes and a +
for staged changes and the GIT_PS1_SHOWSTASHSTATE environment variable
to a nonempty value to show a $ next to the branch name if something
is stashed.

Aaron Meurer