On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 3:29 AM, Ondrej Certik<ond...@certik.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to make a quick survey how many sympy users still use python2.4?
>
> Now even the stable version of Debian uses python2.5. Is there still a
> major linux distribution that uses python2.4?
>
> The real problem with python2.4 is that it doesn't support relative
> imports and as such it's a realy pain to include libraries like
> mpmath.

The biggest problem with the imports in my opinion is not package
management, but 3.x compatibility. It would be fairly easy to support
both 2.x and 3.x in mpmath with the same codebase (and I would
strongly prefer to do this instead of providing two versions). The
only serious problem is that 3.x requires explicit relative imports
while 2.4 doesn't have them.

So right now the choice is between supporting 2.4 and supporting 3.x,
and probably supporting 2.4 is the right choice for a while longer.

Fredrik