On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Aaron S. Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A bit of background, since you don't know.  I worked on SymPy for GSoC last
> summer on the ODE solving module.  I decided to continue as a developer
> afterwords, and I hope to apply again this year (though I need to come up
> with a project idea first.  If I can't, I might try to be a mentor).  I am
> an undergrad at New Mexico Tech double majoring in Mathematics and Computer
> Science.
> It sounds to me like any of these would make a good project.  As far as
> stepping on Ronan's/Fabian's toes, we will have to wait to hear back from
> them, but I don't think it will be an issue.  Fabian's GSoC project last
> summer was to implement the new assumptions, but he didn't get to merge it
> in.  Since then, we have been trying to do some work on that, but not much
> has been done.  This is partly because people are busier this time of year,
> because Fabian is the only one who really understands the new system, and
> because of some of the reasons outlined in Fabian's original email here.  We
> would all like to see it get merged in, so I don't think there would be much
> objection to a project to do that.

I will look into this myself in the coming days and see what exactly
has to be done. One major branch was Mateusz' polys, I am glad that
this is in now and now I need to look into the core. The main idea why
we need the new assumptions is so that the core becomes simpler and
thus we can start cythonizing it and making it faster. And also more
robust (e.g. removing caching).

The py2to3 would be an excellent project though, since I believe
anyone can do that and it has to be done too.

Ondrej