Le jeudi 15 avril 2010 à 13:46 -0600, Aaron S. Meurer a écrit :
> - I think PrimeField should subclass from Expr or Basic (though I could be
> wrong on this one).

No, it should not. Instances of PrimeField are equivalent to classes
like Integer or Rational. I think sympy is not quite ready for this
yet.
In the current model, PrimeField "should" be a metaclass and can only
subclass BasicType (which is empty). It is its instances which "should"
be subclasses of Basic. And yes, this would probably be very messy.

So, it is reasonable to implement finite fields outside the main
hierarchy (note that polynomials are also outside the main hierarchy,
ultimately for the same reason). When sympy grows ways to manipulate
types, they can be brought back into the fold.

> - How is this different from the GF
>  implementation in polys?  Should this rather just be providing a user
>  interface to that?

I think it's the opposite: polys should interface with the generic
implementation. Ultimately, the implementations should be merged, but
the code should move out of polys and into the new module.

Ronan