Actually, there's a mailing list for issue changes here:

http://groups.google.com/group/sympy-issues

I'd say most of the developer discussions take place in the issues, so if you
really want to stay on top of everything, I would subscribe.  Also, the feed
you mentioned will also tell you things like when someone updates one of the
Google Code Wiki pages.

For the record, there's also an RSS feed for git changes:
feed://git.sympy.org/?p=sympy.git;a=atom;opt=--no-merges.

Aaron Meurer