On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Christophe BAL <projet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> do you think that one day sympy will be avaible for Python 3 ?

Considering that Python 3.0 was released in December '08, it would be nice
to see SymPy at least start moving in that direction.

The difficulty is that Python3 is backwards-incompatible, meaning that
either two concurrent branches must be maintained, or SymPy has to switch
completely at some point in time.  The latter is difficult due to a sort of
Catch-22 with libraries - people don't move over their projects to Py3
because they rely on other code that hasn't moved, and the other code hasn't
moved because of the same thing.

Now, I've been told that 2to3 should work perfectly, and any issues with the
code generated from it are actually things that should be fixed in the
Python 2.x codebase.  I've also been told that that's bollocks.

Anyways, there is a task[0] for it in the issue tracker, so you can keep
track of its progress there.  There's also some discussion in this
thread[1], linked to from the issue.

[0]: http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=1262
[1]:
http://groups.google.com/group/sympy/browse_thread/thread/9b730436cf602a64?pli=1